Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> , and I
> believe Pico systems is adding this feature as well.

Yes, our UPC board (PWM servo controller) has had the firmware support
for this for several years.
I finally found some time to bang my head around the driver software to
use the timestamp info to perform
the velocity estimation.  It works quite well.  A MAJOR problem I had in
tuning small, low inertia motors
was that the apparent velocity jumps due to the quantizing of encoder
position resulted in a LOT of velocity noise
at half the sampling frequency (SERVO_PERIOD) .  This came through the
PID's D term to make tuning very hard.
Add a little more D and the noise pulses in the velocity became dominant
and made the servos audibly noisy as well
as mechanically rough.  Feeding the estimated velocity derived with the
time stamp data greatly smoothed this
roughness.  I can do a demo with the old way and the estimated velocity
way, and the difference can be heard from
yards away!

So far, I only have this implemented on the UPC, I hope to eventually
get it on the USC and the PPMC as well.
Those interfaces have a less pressing need for the improved velocity
computation.  Also, adding the readout
of 8 additional bytes of data per four axes does increase CPU load from
the driver code, so I made it an option
that can be enabled on the loadrt command line.

Jon