On 11/10/2011 06:50 PM, Brian May wrote:
> This is probably an easy question for alot af the people on the
> list.
>
> I have 3 phase power going to my vfd on my machine.  I want to the
> use that same power to power all the 120 single phase components.
> (the dc power supply for the steppers and varios other motors. ).
> This way i only need 1 plug
>
> I have been reading and people say i can go from 1 leg to a nuetral
> or leg to leg. I do not have a nuetral line so my question is will it
> be ok to go from leg to leg for the 120 single phase?  Or is there
> some other component i need?

Check the voltage with a meter. Chances are the only voltage you'll find
line-to-line is 208V, or possibly 240. You could use a step-down
transformer, but it may be cheaper to run another line. There will
possibly be 120V between the line and earth, but earth isn't a
current-carrying leg and can't be used.

Karl