I assume all my steppers are using all the amps I want them to, which
would be 12A if I was using 4 steppers at 3A ea.

But probotix is probably assuming some reduction in current while
stationary this can lead to loss of position when powered down to a
lower current (it may be a requirement if insufficient heatsink is
provided).

This may be ok for some operations but not all.

Dave Caroline