On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 12:03 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> There are hall effect based ammeters

A while back, I mooched a Tek Hall-effect current probe from my buddy
Eks to take some interesting pix:

http://softsolder.com/2011/06/20/stepper-sync-wheel-current-waveform-first-light/
http://softsolder.com/2011/06/27/stepper-motor-winding-current-rise-time/

The winding current stays within a skosh of the setpoint for each
microstep, which the driver determines by applying the sine & cosine of
the microstep (electrical) angle to the overall peak current setpoint.

That may also contribute to the mystical 70% derating factor, because in
full-step mode the driver (well, Allegro drivers, anyway) applies
1/sqrt(2) = 0.71 of the peak current setpoint to *each* winding. That
keeps the overall motor power dissipation the same, but the total
current into both windings is 2*(1/sqrt(2))*peak = 1.4*peak. Perhaps the
person who first stated that factor, back in the dim past, forgot about
the current in the *other* winding?

While I was doing that, I managed to stoke a mechanical resonance that
back-drove the winding current something awful:

http://softsolder.com/2011/09/12/stepper-dynamometer-mechanical-resonance/

Keeps me off the streets at night... [grin]

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com