On 12 January 2012 11:49, Viesturs Lācis <viesturs.la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I think that I finally got it - the heatsink is under the board
> and only its very black side can be seen...

Yes, that was the main change.

> How big was that motor?

It was a 2HP motor. On reflection, I probably drained the capacitor
and then bad things happened.

>  I am not sure anymore that I do understand, what is inside AC
> servo motor. Normal DC brushless motors have permanent magnets,

Many "AC servos" are identical in construction  to brushless DC motors.
There is a class of motor which is a true AC induction servo motor,
but they are very rare now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_motor#Two-phase_AC_servo_motors

Any AC servo motor you find on eBay will be basically a brushless
motor with an encoder.

> What is the rated voltage of Your rectifier bridge? Yesterday I had a
> discussion with an electronics guy and he told me, that rectifier
> bridge should not get warm at all

It didn't, but it had a mounting tab so it was convenient to bolt it
to the heatsink too.

> BTW did You have something for the current sensing and over-current sense?

I think I just put in the minimal components to make it wake up.

> I also wanted to ask about GND in the schematics in page 9 of the datasheet:
> http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0dca/0900766b80dca34c.pdf
>
> If I understand correctly, then V+ is the place to connect + from
> power supply, but I do not see GND connected to that chip anywhere.
> Ok, maybe it does not need GND for motor power, but I suspect there
> should be something, to which the incoming PWM signals are referenced
> to.

The gates are AC-coupled through capacitors. So, DC power supply
voltage is connected to V+ and the PSU gnd to the three VR(U/V/W)
lines. Typically through current-monitoring shunt resistors. Some
variants of the IRAMS chips have the shunt resistors built in.

Vss is the logic ground.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC_power_supply_pin

I don't think you want to connect the logic and PSU grounds in this
case, especially if VR is rectified mains. That might actually be
where I went wrong, on reflection.
Can I suggest getting advice from someone with half a clue, rather than me?

(Freewheel diodes)
> Thanks for the explanation, but I do not get, where to look for them? :)
Yes, on the datasheet, each of the 6 IGBTs has a diode in parallel with it.

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.