On Monday, January 23, 2012 09:33:21 AM Mark Wendt did opine:
[...]
> > That's the rub, this box is pclos, first uid,gid is 500.
>
> Nothing says that UID/GID has to be used.  Change the UIDs/GIDs so they
> match.  Since pclos is lower than the Ubuntu UID/GID schema, it won't
> hurt anything on the pclos box to change your user there to match the
> Ubuntu UID/GID.  You can also do this:

Except I lose sudo rights and must use su -.  pclos would rather sudo went
away anyway.

> edit file /etc/login.defs with your favourite editor and find and
> replace this line :
>
> UID_MIN   500
> GID_MIN   500
>
> The 1000 as the UID/GID seems completely arbitrary, and Ubuntu seems to
> be the only one doing it.  Convention has it that UIDs/GIDs <= 100 are
> for system use.  Anything above is non-system-priv'd.
>
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Mark

The last time I tried to 'fix' that on the ubuntu box, I lost my sudo
rights and had to re-install.  I presume there should be a precise order to
do it in, but I haven't deciphered it in 2 tries yet.

Thanks Mark.

Cheers, Gene
Windows is the only solitaire game that requires 16 MB of RAM.