2012/1/23 Michael Haberler <mai...@mah.priv.at>:

> What I do blame you for, and what I take issue with, is the style and
> attitude in which you have come to, and implemented your decision, which is
> symptomatic for how the EMC2 project is run, and what is wrong with it from a
> steering perspective:
>
> After years of inactivity, complete silence on current and future issues, and
> the complete failure to drive any meaningful planning and strategy
> discussion, leave along seeing through results of such plans, not only myself
> have come to the conclusion that as an entity the board either does not
> exist, is completely defunct, or an old boys club which does not perceive the
> need to communicate beyond their inner circle and basically focuses on
> private coding interests.
>
> However, I remind you that a board is primarily a social function: steering,
> driving and moderating discussion and goal setting, summarizing results,
> check whether goals have been attained, and taking corrective action if not.
>
> I also encourage the community at large to consider a board's role, and spell
> out their expectations - it is unfair to blame somebody for failing to meet
> goals which are not clearly spelled out.
>
> - Michael
>
> btw: what are the intended board terms of service?

I pretty much agree to everything Michael and others have expressed
about the (lack of) steering for LinuxCNC, I have been thinking about
it from time to time. I especially felt it, when I tried to add linear
joints to genserkins and was repeatedly asking for some assistance in
debugging it, but did not get response. I think that whole project
would benefit from fixing that and making genserkins truly general
kinematics module for any kind of serially connected joints.

I was also thinking, what to do about this whole situation.
I looked here:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/about/12?task=view

Few things I noticed:
1) the goal/duties/role of the Board is not mentioned;
It has been metioned several times that Board should "set the
direction" - determine, which features/issues are considered as
important and are encouraged to pay more attention, what things are
considered as less important and what things are considered as not
acceptable for the project; probably there is something else;
2) there is nothing about the procedure, how Board would provide some
feedback to users; I find it crucial, because users are the ones to
elect Board members, so it seems obvious to me that there would be
some feedback from Board to users. It could be something like
quarterly published list of decisions/voting since last report (pretty
much like changelog in each new release);
I do not think that we should introduce Council as an institution to
follow up on Board's activities, but I do believe that there should be
implemented a feedback mechanism, otherwise we have situation that
there are users (me among them) that have almost no clue what does the
Board do;
3) I think that there should be separate procedure for
"critical-impact" decisions; IMHO this issue with EMC Corp. is very
nice example - what I understand from the discussions so far is that
community would prefer at least receiving information about such
situations. I do not think that community should necessarily get
involved in decision making, buaccepted byt giving users a chance to
share their insights might provide useful information to Board which
in turn would result in better decisions and, more importantly, better
acceptance by community than in this case;

What I would like to ask - if anyone has a proposal/suggestion for any
of these 3 points, share them either in mailing list or in private.

I am volunteering to summarize it all.

Viesturs