On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 05:26:08 PM Chris Radek did opine:

> Michael,
>
> Thanks for your criticism.  I have taken several days to think about
> it.  I have not discussed my thoughts with the board and I am
> speaking only for myself and to my own relationship to the project.
>
> I agree with you that there are some technical problems with how the
> renaming was done; in particular, changes of variable or object names
> in the source is unnecessary from a branding standpoint and
> unnecessarily destabilizing.  It's possible we could revert those
> mistakes and perhaps we should.  I think Jeff has responded to these
> thoughts too.
>
> But this is a very small part of the dissatisfaction expressed in your
> letter.  Mostly you are dissatisfied with all aspects of the board's
> behavior.
>
> You would like the board to take more direct and authoritative action
> guiding development.  In fact the bylaws currently say something to
> this effect: we'll within 24 hours set the priority and assign to a
> developer all bug fixes and feature requests submitted on sourceforge.
> To me this is eminently silly and you are right that I do not take
> this responsibility seriously.  I do not feel I have the authority to
> assign ANYTHING to ANYONE and I certainly don't have the authority to
> prioritize their "action items".  I am not a development manager and
> none of our developers are my employees.  Our developers, me included,
> take on bug fixes and improvements as we feel qualified to tackle
> them, and as we have time and energy to spare in our day-to-day lives.
> I will say more about this later.
>
> Now on the other hand, you would have liked the board to take a less
> direct/authoritative and more community-oriented approach to the
> problems posed by emc.com's lawyer, even suggesting that perhaps a
> community member may have had the experience to handle it better and
> get us a better outcome.  I will say more about this later too.
>
> Now I do not claim to do everything right, or to have given the
> project my full attention at all times in the last, uh, decade or so
> that I've been involved, or that I've always handled every question
> to the best of my ability.  I hope nobody expects that of me.
>
> But aside from that, I see that we have a fundamental disagreement
> about the role of the board.  The things I think the board should
> handle are something like this:
>
>       Represent the project in general to the outside world, being a
>       point of contact for companies, lawyers, etc.
>
>       Keep tabs on the infrastructure the whole project needs, make
>       smart decisions about it, and keep it working.  This is stuff
>       like the DNS, the key used to sign the apt repositories, the
>       websites, arrangements with services that recognize our
>       project somehow like sourceforge and freenode and the Linux
>       foundation, and so on.
>
>       This task also includes things like
>       studying/advocating/implementing the switch from cvs to git.
> [...]

Actually Chris, I think you have stated things far better than I could,
obviously having a lot longer fuse than mine, which is (in)famously short.

I think the only rebuttal comment I could make, and I'm well aware of my
relatively minor effect regardless, the change I would make is to be a bit
more public with the reasons a request, including mine of course, aren't
being considered as useful to the overall project.  Feedback IOW. As has
been said for 50+ years now, patches welcome. :)

Cheers, Gene
"Out of register space (ugh)"
-- vi