Viesturs,
regardless of possible tuning questions, if I recall right, you are
using a 24 volts supply for the stepper amplifiers. This seems a little
low to me as I was using 90 volts on my dual Parker Hannifing
amplifier/driver. I had stepper motors attached to the two slides of my
lathe and never experienced any oscillations. The amps came to a maximum
of about 30 kHz, but as the steppers were coupled directly to the
spindles (no gears) they reached the spindle ends before frequency could
grow any higher anyway. The motors have about 85 mm diameter and are
labelled for 3 volts so there is a lot of momentum in this drive. When a
slide accidentally hit the physical end of a way (no limit switches
there), it usually turned off the 3 mm steel dowel I am using in the
couplings.

I think at your 24 volt level and the resulting maximum motor forces or
angular momenta, you are working near the physical resonance limit where
anything can happen. Try a higher power supply voltage in any case.

Peter