2012/1/30 Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com>:

> Before you change encoders, and noting that others have used the CUI/AMT
> encoders with success, can you try a little experiment to make sure this is
> not a noise --> losing count/commutation issue?

Thank You for the explanation! I really appreciate that! And this kind of test
with marking a spot on motor's pulley and frame is neat!
Unfortunately I left yesterday after spending 4 days at client's site.
And it is several hours to drive there.
So I do not have access to machine and it would be way too expensive
just to go there and test it. And there is nobody whom I could ask to
do it for me :(

I do agree that I should gather as much information as possible,
before making any decisions, but I find the associated cost to be too
high.

I have flexible CAT5 cable with shielding used for encoder and hall
sensor signals, shield is connected to GND only in the PC end, so I do
not think that it could pick up some noise in the cable.
I used a superglue to eliminate any chance of slip between motor shaft
and encoder wheel.
Jon Elson did very good comparison and analysis on these encoders and
their poor performance.
It is not only machine for my own use, but I also have to provide 2
year warranty, so I do not want to risk of getting encoders working
now and then solving this issue again in few months or so.

Based on these points I think that I have enough grounding to change
the encoders, although that also is adding extra cost.

I have no doubts that there are users who are happy with their CUI
encoders. But there are also many cases, when CUI has let their
customers down. Unfortunately I have heard opinions only from that
second group.

Viesturs