On 2/27/2012 9:05 AM, Ian W. Wright wrote:
> Gene,
>
> <...>  As
> matter of interest, I recently knocked together a little 3d
> printer - a Prusa Mendel - and one of its first jobs was to
> make me several change wheels for my 7 x 12 to let me cut
> the unusual threads I've been struggling with - like a 56
> t.p.i. for a microscope lens mount. Its only working with
> plastic but its great to be able to print out things like
> these gears in less than an hour for less than the cost of
> postage if I had sent for one!!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Ian

Ian:

Out of more than idle curiosity, are you driving the Mendel from
LinuxCNC? If so, could you say something about your workflow? How about
temperature control of the extruder?

I'm halfway through constructing an original Mendel (got all the printed
bits from a friend before the Prusa variation appeared) with my grandson
for his scouting activities. I decided to start with the RepRap
electronics so his troup could rely on the online community and not just
me. Progress has slowed to a crawl (we won't be creating a Pinewood
Derby concept car with it this year) because of other obligations but I
obviously would like to experiment with it for my own purposes using
LinuxCNC.

Regards,
Kent