On Monday, March 05, 2012 02:12:58 PM Chris Radek did opine:

> On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 12:05:02PM -0600, sam sokolik wrote:
> > http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/gui/axis.html#_axis_preview_control
> >
> >     (AXIS,stop) Stops the preview from here to the end of the file.
>
> Thanks Sam, I think this is really the answer in this case.
>
> You can even have a program that *never* ends, and it will work fine
> if you just tell AXIS to stop the preview.
>
> The program Gene shared has a feed distance of 44941 inches, which
> is about 50 hours of runtime at F15.
>
> (I have a fast machine here, and the program loaded in about 20
> seconds.  It just looks like a solid white donut, though.)

That is the other problem.  The solid is too solid, you need to be able to
see thru it and see the internal shape of the cut, which is the actual
target in this case.  Possibly axis has a way to make that translucent
rather than a solid white?

I am watching my much improved & faster version simulate a run now, looking
for clues in the debug output between the course and fine loops to see if I
can determine why the fine loop isn't showing in the preview.  If I can't
spot the error, I'll replace that file with what is running now & maybe
someone else can spot it.  But I might try the axis stop, axis start stuff
to see if that would improve my preview image.  Hide the course cut stuff
once its proven. ;-)

Cheers, Gene
If what they've been doing hasn't solved the problem, tell them to
do something else.
        -- Gerald Weinberg, "The Secrets of Consulting"