dave wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sometime ago I bought a D510MO to replace my aging 1.2 GHz Duron. I'm
>> finally frustrated enough with the present cpu, etc. to actually
>> upgrade. ;-)
>>
>> http://www.logicsupply.com/categories/power_supplies/dc_converters?gclid=COeJt5m4_q8CFSIHRQodoQGGHA
>>
>> I've been looking at the power supplies in the above link. Does anyone
>> have experience, recommendations, etc. Further what are people using
>> for the 12 VDC source; or is the preferred method to use a battery
>> charger and go with one of the supplies that will tolerate>= 14 V?

Dave - I have a handful of the older units in service (of both the
standard and wide-input variety) and the standard 12v units would
literally shut down at 13.0v input as "overvoltage" - and that
protection spec was clearly listed in the datasheet with the units. If a
brick (other than theirs - I never tried their versions) went slightly
out of compliance, which could be common, the unit would shut down
often, and tough to trace. How the CarPC guys got these to work
reliably, is beyond my guess. It was a little bit of a challenge in many
cases trying to use an existing DC buss (utility 12v) that wasn't
tightly regulated. If it was close to 12v, the wide input wouldn't work
(14-35v), if it went slightly over 12, the standard wouldn't work. I
eventually started feeding them with a dedicated DIN-mount adjustable
power supply (the typical MeanWell style, 12 or 24v), adjusted slightly
under, and then monitored to give a good average based upon the load.
Spike draws (such as hard drive spindle motors) were eliminated as much
as possible (by using CF card storage, etc) and fans were placed on
their own alternate buss. I've noticed that the current online spec
sheet for the standard PicoPSU says PG is acceptable between 10.5 and
13.5 vdc. It's not a "bold statement spec" - you have to hunt for it.
However, I'd believe it in that if you fed 13.6, it would shut down.....

Cheers,
Ted.