dave wrote:
> The 32016 was a good design as far as I could tell. Orthogonal
> instruction set, 8 sets of registers, etc. I understand that National
> simply didn't give much support. Most of the boards were VME bus.
> The chip seemed to get used more in Europe than here.

National Semi never was good at support of these complex products.  The
machine
I had (I built a clone of the LMC system) had no cache, and ran on a 16
MHz clock,
I think.  I think it could have used a cache pretty badly.  I think also
the MMU
caused a significant slowdown.  Basically it was supposed to be a VAX on
a chip, but the DEC MicroVAX-II ran rings around it in virtual
addressing mode.
I don't really know if the file system or the multibus-disk controller
was what
really made it slow, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

Jon