On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
> dave wrote:
>> The 32016 was a good design as far as I could tell. Orthogonal
>> instruction set, 8 sets of registers, etc. I understand that National
>> simply didn't give much support. Most of the boards were VME bus.
>> The chip seemed to get used more in Europe than here.
>>
> National Semi never was good at support of these complex products.  The
> machine I had (I built a clone of the LMC system) had no cache, and ran on a
> 16
> MHz clock, I think.  I think it could have used a cache pretty badly.  I
> think also
> the MMU caused a significant slowdown.  Basically it was supposed to be a VAX
> on
> a chip, but the DEC MicroVAX-II ran rings around it in virtual
> addressing mode.
> I don't really know if the file system or the multibus-disk controller
> was what really made it slow, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

Not to mention the fact that they acquired a reputation for
long-unfixed bugs and difficult interfacing
http://www.os.4uj.org/16032.htm. Still, it was a nice design and a
pity that NS didn't succeed in the effort to match its excellent
analog products with a digital computer line. They of course ended up
acquired by Texas Instruments last year.