On 05/20/2012 12:12 PM, Dave wrote:
> On 5/20/2012 12:40 PM, Rafael Skodlar wrote:
>> I wonder what kind of power and data cables would you recommend for use
>> in X-Y-Z CNC about 1.2mx1m size? Besides power, it's not clear to me how
>> many data lines for sensors, encoders, motor control, etc. are needed in
>> general.
>>
>> Is it preferable to carry power and handful of control signals to the
>> circuit on the gantry and preprocess some functions there or have
>> everything wired into the central box? That would dictate the number of
>> wires in the cable needed and what kind you need to buy.
>>
>> Would cable carrier from McMaster-Carr # 55835K432 be sufficient?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Figure out what cables you need to move back and forth and then choose
> the carrier.  Jamming cables into a cable carrier is not a good idea.

I'm well familiar with flexing and shielding issues in general since
early HP plotter days. I was hoping to get a simple answer based on real
life experience, get this or that cable with x number of shielded and
stranded or twisted wires ;-) That's why I mentioned size as that would
give one an idea of motor sizes and other requirements.

Is it better to have one cable with x number of wires to take care of
all needs or a number of smaller cables (y) with x/y wires?

> If you don't do some figuring before you know what you are going to carry,
> you will either have too much, or not enough space.   Guessing usually
> doesn't work out nearly as well.

Agree, and that's why I tried to see what others are doing on this issue
as it seem to be poorly documented in general. I try to capture this
from numerous pictures but wires seem to generate little interest in
general.

> As an alternative supplier; Igus sells direct in the US.
> http://www.igus.com/default.asp?c=us&L=en
>
> Dave

Links are always encouraging. However, I'm still struggling with the
variety of cables mentioned on Igus site: data cable, bus cable, servo
cable, control cable. Lots of homework ahead I guess, and that's before
the experiment can begin.

Thanks guys,

--
Rafael