Rafael Skodlar wrote:
> On 05/20/2012 12:12 PM, Dave wrote:
>
>> On 5/20/2012 12:40 PM, Rafael Skodlar wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder what kind of power and data cables would you recommend for use
>>> in X-Y-Z CNC about 1.2mx1m size? Besides power, it's not clear to me how
>>> many data lines for sensors, encoders, motor control, etc. are needed in
>>> general.
>>>
> I'm well familiar with flexing and shielding issues in general since
> early HP plotter days. I was hoping to get a simple answer based on real
> life experience, get this or that cable with x number of shielded and
> stranded or twisted wires ;-) That's why I mentioned size as that would
> give one an idea of motor sizes and other requirements.
>
> Is it better to have one cable with x number of wires to take care of
> all needs or a number of smaller cables (y) with x/y wires?

With non-filtered motor drives, it is pretty important to NOT put
encoder or other signal-level
wires in the same cable as the motor wires.  I usually separate encoder,
home/limit sensors
and motors on 3 cables per axis, even though my motor drives ARE filtered.
A plain quadrature encoder needs 4 wires, if it has index then 5.  If
differential,
then 6 or 8 wires.  If brushless motors are used, those usually need
Hall sensors,
add 4 more wires.  Stepper motors need a minimum of 4 wires, brush servos
need 2 plus maybe a safety ground, brushless would need 3 plus ground.

You can check the catalogs for the number and size of the wire strands.
The more fine
wires there are, the better the cable will handle flexing.  The good
stuff has #36 AWG
or finer strands, thinner than hair.

Jon