You just need yet another manual!  ;-)  Its all there, on the web,
someplace.   The trick is finding it.  :-)

http://www.automation.siemens.com/doconweb/pdf/840C_1101_E/611a_iaa.pdf?p=1

Page 8/48 says that a 3 on the drive module display is a motor overheat
situation.  I'm not sure if this manual applies directly to that
particular drive module, but Siemens is pretty consistent with
their diagnostic error numbers on a product line (like the 611).

6 means pulse cancellation - which means that the spindle was shutdown
probably due to an enable that dropped out when the Z axis motor
overheat detection circuit tripped.

Might want to check the temp on that Z drive motor with an Infrared temp
gun.  I have a el-cheapo Harbor Freight unit that I use for that.
Does your Z axis have a counter balance?  Perhaps it needs to be
readjusted?   Or you might be able to lower your Z rapids to get rid of
the overheat situation.  Or you could have a mechanical issue with your
Z axis which is creating excessive drag - hence the grunting.

All of the Siemens servo motors I have seen have thermistors buried in
the motor windings to detect motor temp.  The thermistor leads usually
come back through the motor cables - I believe they are in the same
cable as the motor power leads.  Usually they are the fine wires in the
motor connection box.   If you have a bad motor cable you might get the
same error even if the motor temp is fine.

You might be able to swap motors and see if the problems moves with the
motor - assuming the Z motor is the same as the X or Y.

Dave