On Monday 16 July 2012 04:43:01 jeremy youngs did opine:

> > Greetings all;
> > This need for a looooong allen set screw as the starting material for
> > this differential screw that Andy reminded me of is being a problem.
> > fleabay searches don't seen to be getting any hits tonight.
>
> how long gene and what thread flavor? a piece of drill rod could be
> milled to make a broach, with pilot and steps cuti in a lathe then
> hadened and used in bridgeport to make the shaped hole? and you could
> use the same piece of drill rod as your screw and neck it slightly for
> a ways so as to leesen the likely ]hood of it breaking just thoughts

Any 'thought' may contain the seeds of a solution idea, thanks.

I have a couple sticks of 1/2" drill rod for raw material, and I have a few
grade 12 bolts that also work well as raw material. I'm still cogitating on
it, but the torx socket is the stronger of the two, and I think I can drill
that with pcb bits on my mill.   The smaller end is already fixed at 10-32
by drilling and tapping the end of the ball screw.  The larger end I may
make metric at about 7mm as my access through hole in the extension is
already .247" (6.2738mm).  Due to wall thickness vs strength
considerations, that thread will have to be cut from the tapered socket end
anyway.  That tap I have.  Match fitting the screw with G76 is fairly
trivial for both thread sections.

Cheers, Gene
42