On Wednesday 26 December 2012 23:50:52 andy pugh did opine:

> On 26 December 2012 22:45, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> >  I am out of input pins on the cnc4pc C1G.
>
> How about using the serial port status pins?
> http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/serport.9.html

Hadn't even crossed my mind Andy, thanks. From the manpage, looks like that
could give me 3 more .in pins.  Next of course, that would bypass the opto
isolation.  I wonder if the sparkfun thing could be like an old serial
mouse, which was powered by the logic levels of the port?  Its marked for
ground & 5 volt supplies, but it came with zero docs, as in nada, zip,
none.  Time to do some research on the chip makers site I guess.  The
sparkfun site itself is no help.

Cheers, Gene
No house is childproofed unless the little darlings are in straitjackets.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...