Gene,
   Not sure if you would be interested in the approach I'm using, but it
may help you or others who are in a similar predicament.

You can use shift registers to add as many additional lines as you want.
 For example, you can take 3 output lines on your parallel port, and turn
them into 8, 16, 24 or more output lines.  Shift registers come in two
varieties: Serial-In Parallel-Out, which you would use to create more
output lines, and Parallel-In Serial-Out which you can use to create more
input lines.

I wrote a HAL module to implement my setup, which uses 4 pins on the
parallel port to create 16 output and 16 input lines.  I use these lines
for higher-latency signals, since it takes about 1 ms to shift all the bits
in and out.

There is a good article explaining it here:

http://robots.freehostia.com/Software/ShiftRegister/ShiftRegisterBody.html

-Kip