On Thursday 27 December 2012 22:00:41 Dave did opine:

> Gene, I know you wanted to derive power from an RS232 port, but why not
> do a port steal from a USB port.
>
> Plenty of ma at 5vdc regulated.
>
> Also, there are lots of TTL to USB and RS232 converters already
> assembled on Ebay - very cheap.
>
> Dave

Cheap until you check the shipping... :(

I have now arrived at the conclusion that the pin I reserved for one of the
homing switches is of far less utility than this, so since I never wired it
up anyway, it will get re-purposed for this.  But I need some slightly
warmer weather before embarking on that project.

Thanks Dave.

Cheers, Gene
We can defeat gravity.  The problem is the paperwork involved.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...