On 01/11/2013 10:49 PM, Eric H. Johnson wrote:

> The board in fact just arrived today. Android built into the onboard NAND
> booted first time. While waiting for the board to arrive, I also built a
> custom kernel and a debian image and loaded that to a 4GB SD card. That,
> unfortunately was an abject failure. It would not boot, and worse, gave no
> error message. I just got a black screen.

Does it have a serial port?  That is the best way to debug boot failure
on the Beagle
Board and its cousins.  4GB is a bit tight for the full Linux system,
but it can work.
But, for real work on the system itself, you might want to go for an 8
GB card.

As for attaching hardware, I built a board that puts a bidir parallel
port on the
Beagle Board's expansion header.  It doesn't do native EPP mode, but
that can
be emulated in software.  I have a rudimentary driver for my EPP-connected
stepper/PWM controller that ran on the Beagle Board.  (The SD card got
corrupted, but I think I have the code backed up.)
If the olinuxino also has an expansion header for GPIO pins, I could give
you the schematic.  The Beagle Board and XM have 1.8 V I/O levels, so it
includes a level translator.

Jon