Jon,

It has what it calls a serial port, which in fact goes to a USB. There are
then some drivers (Windows only) which apparently allow communicating with
it as a serial device. Something is not working in my setup for these
drivers. I got the drivers installed, and three external drives show up when
the board is plugged in, but I cannot view any of them and nothing shows up
in hyperterminal. But more importantly, a USB device is only recognized when
I boot to Android. If I boot to the SD I get nothing, not even the "bing"
when a USB device is detected.

Further, I have now tried three different SD cards. Under Android, when I
insert any one of them it gives me a damaged SD error. I initially thought
this might be because Android does not recognize the ext3 / ext4 format, but
I get the same error when I insert a 32GB SD that I regularly use in my
Android tablet. The manual does say:
 "We have tested a number of microSD cards on the OLinuXino boards and all
of them worked fine regardless manufacturer or capacity. However, keep in
mind that some of the lower quality microSD cards might draw too much
current from the slot which might cause power-state problems.
If you suspect the microSD card is causing problems please try using another
one of better quality for better results."

I picked up a second 4GB SD today, unfortunately Best Buy only seems to
carry PNY, so both 4GB SDs are PNYs. The 32 GB SD is Transcend. I have a
class 10 32GB SD on order, but it just shipped Friday.

I suppose there is an outside chance that it is a power supply problem. The
power supply I intend to use has not arrived, so I have been using a
combination of USB ports from a PC and a high power USB power supply. The
stand-alone USB power supply is rated at 2.1A at 5V. The manual does say
that for full operation, including the LCD display, the requirements are
6-16VDC at 1A.

As for I/O, I am still working out what will be available for usable GPIO.
It looks like most of it is available on one of the 40 pin connectors, the
other 40 pin connector is for the LCD / Touch screen. The complete manual is
here:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A13/A13-OLinuXino/resources/A13-OL
INUXINO.pdf

Regards,
Eric

Does it have a serial port?  That is the best way to debug boot failure on
the Beagle Board and its cousins.  4GB is a bit tight for the full Linux
system, but it can work.
But, for real work on the system itself, you might want to go for an 8 GB
card.

As for attaching hardware, I built a board that puts a bidir parallel port
on the Beagle Board's expansion header.  It doesn't do native EPP mode, but
that can be emulated in software.  I have a rudimentary driver for my
EPP-connected stepper/PWM controller that ran on the Beagle Board.  (The SD
card got corrupted, but I think I have the code backed up.) If the olinuxino
also has an expansion header for GPIO pins, I could give you the schematic.
The Beagle Board and XM have 1.8 V I/O levels, so it includes a level
translator.