On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 07:07:17 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
>> Hmmm, I've converted two grease guns to use on Bridgeports for oiling.
>> They seemed to work quite well, using the standard grease fitting that came
>> with the gun on the fittings on the mill.  (I've now converted to a "Fly
>> Horse"
>> Chinese one-shot system, so don't use it anymore.)
>>
>> Jon
>
>Jon,
>
>That may work for most 'Murkan made machines, but those with the made
>overseas in Asia tend to have a pretty lousy fit for the standard
>grease gun fitting.

Hi Mark - oil nipple heads often aren't the same size and shape as
grease nipples. Myford's were fitted with oil nipples, not grease
nipples. I still have the original Wanner oil gun off one. It doesn't
clip on the nipple. The end is simply a recess that you push against the
nipple and pump.

There's a link on this page that shows oil nipples (and the expensive
pump ;)

http://www.lathespares.co.uk/oil-lubrication-c-31/wanner-oil-gun-for-the-myford-lathe-new-p-646

The round head type nipple generally has a smaller diameter head than a
grease nipple with the same thread.

Plenty of Myford spindles were damaged though by people forcing grease
into them using those grease guns with an adjustable clamping nozzle. It
often forced the wick (hidden in the hole) into the bearing..

Steve Blackmore