Gentlemen,
  The ultimate goal is simplification. When I am tuning a servo system I am
not tuning the motor as much as I am tuning the already tuned servo/motor
system. This piles tuning upon tuning and seems more complicated than it
needs to be.
  I am trying to dumb down the drive so the LinuxCNC tuning is directly
effecting the motor motion instead of manipulating the tuned servo system.
  I would like a simple dumb amplifier to send current to the motor and
allow LinuxCNC to close the loop and be in full control. The motors on my
machines are large so I would need a large capacity amplifier. This seems
to me to be the simplest set up.
thanks
Stuart

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM, dave <dengv...@charter.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 07:05 -0500, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
> > Gentlemen,
> >

> <snip>
> >  Everyone says the drive/motor servo tuning is the best but if that is
> > the case why is there tuning capability in LinuxCNC? Obviously, it is
> > not good enough or no effort would be expended in making it better.
> > I will try this on one of my systems.
> > Maybe I need to work on a pseudo tach feedback that I generate to get
> > the desired result.
> > thanks
> > Stuart
> >

> <snip>
> >

> Hi Stuart,
> It is not that no one has ever tried to make an auto-tune for linuxcnc.
> The problem is non-trivial. There was an alternative pid module but I
> could never get it to work. At one time a visiting scientist at NIST did
> some work on tuning. It worked about as well as a reasonable skilled
> human in tuning. However, the guy left before getting it documented and
> it just disappeared.
>
> If I had the skills to program it I'd try very short tests with randomly
> picked sets of parameters with the idea that one would get something
> usable and then refine from there. (Monte Carlo)
>
> A Bode plot would be nice but still one needs a way to get from that to
> the correct parameters for a tuned machine.
>
> Google searching yields many hits but most are buried behind $$ to IEEE
> for a copy.
>
> Many years ago JMK was working on a hal procedure for tuning but got
> stalled probably by available time. :-(
>
> HTH
>
> Dave

> > --