Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 April 2013 12:52:04 jeremy youngs did opine:
>

>> gene
>> this is what jon  offers and i am salivating over :)
>> http://pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=26
>>

> I can see why, but two things:  The minimum PWM freq of 25khz, and the 12
> volt enable.
>
> I don't have any 12 volts in my boxes that isn't busy running fans.  And
> LCNC can't make a PWM at 25KHZ. Best it could do, on an atom board, would
> be a 12.5 khz square wave.  So I'd have to put some other card into there
> to generate that high a repetition rate pulse.  The 4 channel universal at
> $250, while no doubt nice, is too much for my toy budget.

The 12 V is the logic supply, and it only takes 100 mA at the most.
The 25 KHz is not strict, but the output filter won't work well at low
frequencies.  At the higher voltages there is a tradeoff between high
frequency and high ripple current in the output heating up the
filter inductors and the motor windings.  But, trying to generate PWM
by software is pretty tough.  My PWM controller has 25 ns resolution
on the pulse width.  It doesn't make sense for just a spindle, but
if you are going to run several servo axes with it, it is at least
a better deal.

Jon