On 6/16/2013 5:29 PM, Tom Easterday wrote:
> These systems have a 32GB SSD in them.    Are you (all) suggesting the disk
> should be formatted EXT3 instead of 4?  I don't think I formatted them at
> all, I took them out of the box and used the LiveCD install and let it to
> it's thing....
> -Tom
>

> On Jun 16, 2013, at 11:49 AM, Dave<e...@dc9.tzo.com>  wrote:
>
>> Your pastebin points to a file missing and then it can't create a legit
>> semaphore for some reason.   Is that message persistent between boots?
>>
>> I had a strange problem on a customers machine that got worse and worse
>> - basic system flakiness and I finally replaced their hard drive with an
>> SSD and took their old hard drive (a Seagate 160 gb 2.5" Sata laptop
>> drive) back to my shop.
>>
>> The drive was formatted EXT4.   Linux could not fix the disk problems
>> even after repeated tries.  I plugged the drive into a Windows XP system
>> and reformatted the disk expecting it to fail.  It took a while to
>> format but it did so cleanly and the Seagate diagnositic software said
>> that all was good!   So I imaged the original LinuxCNC system back onto
>> the disk and it has been running fine in my office for over a week
>> now.   No flaky operation.   So for whatever reason, the EXT4 file
>> system became corrupted in such a way that the Linux system was unable
>> to recover from it, even though the disk itself was still good.    That
>> is the first and hopefully the last time I see that problem!
>>
>> Dave Cole

I'm fairly certain that when you boot the liveCD and then choose to
install the system that it goes through the normal Linux install process
that includes formatting the drive.

Have you run the Linux software to check the drive..  Disk Utilities,
check disk?

When my Linux EXT4 file system became corrupted, the Linux Check disk
software failed the disk during tests.   But then after reformatting the
disk in Windows
I was able to reload the LinuxCNC image I had made originally for this
system.   I just went and checked this same disk again via the Linux
Check Disk software and the "Read Smart Data" shows that the disk has 93
bad sectors which is more than the
Linux threshold of 36.    So while apparently Windows has no problem
continuing to deal with a disk with 93 bad sectors, perhaps Linux does??

You mentioned "systems", do you have other systems with the same
software on them such that you could swap the drives, copy the LinuxCNC
configs back and forth and see if the problems sticks with one of the
drives?

Your issue sounds like a disk related problem to me.  I'd try swapping
drives and configurations first to try to narrow the problem down to one
drive if possible.

Dave Cole