On Jun 17, 2013, at 9:27 AM, Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com> wrote:
> I'm fairly certain that when you boot the liveCD and then choose to
> install the system that it goes through the normal Linux install process
> that includes formatting the drive.
>
> Have you run the Linux software to check the drive..  Disk Utilities,
> check disk?

Disk Utility won't let me check the disk as it's mounted.  I will try taking
one out of the other system and put it in here so I can check it.

> When my Linux EXT4 file system became corrupted, the Linux Check disk
> software failed the disk during tests.   But then after reformatting the
> disk in Windows

What did you reformat it as?  Ext3?  I don't think you said in your original
message.

> I was able to reload the LinuxCNC image I had made originally for this
> system.   I just went and checked this same disk again via the Linux
> Check Disk software and the "Read Smart Data" shows that the disk has 93
> bad sectors which is more than the
> Linux threshold of 36.    So while apparently Windows has no problem
> continuing to deal with a disk with 93 bad sectors, perhaps Linux does??
>
> You mentioned "systems", do you have other systems with the same
> software on them such that you could swap the drives, copy the LinuxCNC
> configs back and forth and see if the problems sticks with one of the
> drives?

Yes, I duplicated the disk (using dd) and three systems all exhibit the same
behavior.

> Your issue sounds like a disk related problem to me.  I'd try swapping
> drives and configurations first to try to narrow the problem down to one
> drive if possible.

Ok, I will try checking one first, and will probably reformat (Ext3, I guess)
and start over.

Thanks,
-Tom