On Tue, 2013-06-25 at 18:48 -0500, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> On 06/24/2013 10:18 PM, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> >
> > Besides my 3D printing endeavors, I am involved with trying to get a
> > hackerspace going here in Topeka.  Recently a CNC mill that might make
> > a good LinuxCNC retrofit candidate popped up on the local craigslist:
> >
> > http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/3892182813.html
>
> hmmm it is worth $500 just if they load it for you! ... often you can get the
> serial number and
> contact the company. They may know a lot about the particular machine. (
> Wells Index knew everything
> about the one I picked up).
>
> Key things would be the condition of the spindle bearings, was it used to cut
> Au or steel?
Gee! I'd sure like to meet the guy rich enough to machine Au. ;-)

> Lubrication system? Is the company still in business? ( but often they are in
> fine shape only the
> electronics died!).
>
> It appears that machines can be had for less than scrap price - they are not
> fun to move.
Yep! Renting a 15,000 lb forklift is not cheap. I got by for $500 but
that was some years ago. I had a real deal for up to 8000 lb but the
price went up 10X to go to 15,000.

> Moving these beasts is best with a forklift - you will need to rent one to
> take it off the truck.
>
> Once on the ground, realize the need for a door and ceiling that are wide and
> high enough.  There is
> a trick of using lots of round hardwood dowels - and kicking them to steer.
> Safety is important in
> moving these beasts.
I  bought a stick of 1.5" bar and cut into 30" sections for rollers. Put
a couple of 6x6 sq tubular under the machine and away we went.

Dave