Priority number one needs to be safety.  Lifting 200 lbs is not
a big deal.  Lifting 200 lbs when people might be underneath
is a very big deal.  If something breaks and it drops 16 to
25 feet it could kill somebody.

Maybe you already know all this stuff - in that case,
please don't be offended.  Better safe than sorry.

Does the stage already have a fly system?  Even if it is
manual, having the pulleys and counterweight system in
place simplifies things a lot.

In any case, I would strongly recommend counterweighting
the chandelier.  Hang two strong pulleys in the fly loft, one
where you want the chandelier, and one backstage or in the
wings.  Run a cable from the chandelier to the first pulley,
then the second, then the counterweight.

Make the counter weight maybe 10-20 lbs heavier than the
chandelier, so the chandelier will naturally want to go up.
Then to drop it, use the motor to lift the counterweight.

That way, if the motor fails, the chandelier goes up.  The
counterweight will fall, but you can locate it in a spot where
it can't hit anyone.

Everything should be ridiculously strong and overbuilt
if there is any chance of people under the load.  Breaking
strength of all cable, fittings, pulleys, and rigging should
be at least ten times the maximum expected load.  Use
as much redundancy as possible.  Pulleys should be
hung from the ceiling from strong structural members,
using two independent methods of attachment.  One
that bears the load under normal conditions, and a backup
(such as a loop of chain or steel cable) in case the first
one breaks or comes loose or slips.

The backup loop probably should pass below the actual
lifting cable, so even if something crazy happens (like
the pulley axle failing), the cable will still be caught by
the safety line.

Ideally you would never let it be above people at all.
Perhaps you can drop it at the very front edge of the
stage, and instruct the cast to never enter or cross
that spot.

Be very cautious about lifting and especially holding any
significant weight with a servo.  If the drive shuts down
or trips out for any reason, the weight will drop unless the
motor has a brake, AND the brake is properly interlocked
with the drive, AND it works correctly.  Holding a weight
stationary is typically harder on the drive and the motor
than making the same torque while spinning - that just
increases the risk that the drive might overheat and shut
down.

My gut tells me that it will be very difficult to slow the
"falling" chandelier without it being very obvious.  The
mind knows what a falling object should do, and is
pretty good at detecting "unnatural" behavior.

The control can be done in HAL if you want.  It isn't
hard to set up a servo loop with a PID controller.  The
position command could come from hal-streamer,
which would let you define a position vs time profile
using something as simple as a spreadsheet, and
play it back exactly as many times as you want.

You could experiment with different profiles to try to
get something that looks as natural as possible.

Making the cable wind evenly side to side can be done
with a level wind mechanism.  If the cable is short and
thin and the drum is wide it can be a simple threaded
rod 6 inches or so in front of the drum that is belted or
geared to the drum, and moves a guide across the drum.

For example, assume you are using a 1/4" cable, and
your drum is 4" in diameter.  One turn of the drum means
4 times pi = 12.56 inches.  Call it a foot.  To handle 25
feet of line, you will have 25 wraps on the drum.  If each
wrap is 1/4" and you  want to have a single neat layer, then
the total width of the drum needs to be at least 25 times
1/4" = 6.25 inches.  If your level wind uses 3/8-16 threaded
rod, it will take four turns of the rod to move the cable guide
1/4".  So the threaded rod needs to turn four times for every
revolution of the drum.  Small timing belt pulleys would work
for that.

A couple years ago I built a system somewhat like this.
I was lifting a much smaller load - a prop that weighed
less than 10 lbs and was bulky and rather soft - so I
didn't have the same safety concerns.  I used three
winches with a kinematics module in HAL so I could
control the prop in three dimensions over a fairly large
working envelope.  I was using kevlar line that was about
0.035" in diameter.  I used 1/4-20 threaded rod for the
level wind, geared roughly 4:5 with the drum.  So the
0.035" line wound onto the drum at about 0.040" per turn.
The drum was over a foot long, so I could fit at least
300 turns on it.

The drums were made from 4" schedule 80 PVC pipe
with plugs for the motor shaft on one end and a bearing
on the other.  The OD of the pipe was about 4.5", so
when completely wound up I had over 350 feet of line
on the drum.  The motors were some beefy NEMA 42
steppers with microstepping drives.

Even with my much lighter load, powering down the
stepper drive would allow the string to unwind and the
load to drop,

Here is some testing of that system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVdXyU4W5dQ

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 11:03 PM, Bruce Klawiter wrote:
> I need help to get me started on this.
> The winch is to drop and raise a chandelier for the local high school doing
> Phantom of the opera, I am building the chandelier and would like to build
> the winch also.
> The chandelier I'm guessing will weight 200 pound and the winch can be 120
> volts
> I would like to drop, free fall the chandelier 16 to 25 feet then in the last
> foot or so arrest its fall so it crumples on the stage without actually
> crashing into the stage floor, then raise it back up slowly.
> I'm thinking I could just attach a spool to a servo motor and unwind the
> cable really fast, some question I have would be what motor, how do I size
> the motor, what controller that's easy to program, how do you guarantee the
> cable does not get tangled up, how do you make the cable wind up side to side
> on the spool.
> Any help or ideas I can get on this project or if you can point me where i
> can go to learn or get help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce

  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm