I suspect that that is on their long-term roadmap.

But, right now, they are trying to re-invent the wheel. After 6 years of
development, they are now only about 30 years behind the industry
standards.

Rep-rap has been developed from the Maker movement. The one major knock I
have against that is that that movement pretty much ignored industry and
existing design experience and tries to redo things from scratch. Linuxcnc
has a different core underlying principle. But, that said, Rep-rap pays a
lot of attention to how non-machinists would use the machine - because, for
the most part, they aren't machinists. Loading an SD card works because it
is pretty bullet-proof and easy to manage as is just pressing a button.
Ease of use.

Charles