On Thursday 27 June 2013 16:08:14 Charles Buckley did opine:

> Well, yes, I would expect that to be the case.
>
> http://www.google.com/patents/US6722872
>
> "Disclosed is a three-dimensional modeling apparatus (*10*) that builds
> up three-dimensional objects in a heated build chamber (*24*) by
> dispensing modeling material from a dispensing head (*14*) onto a base
> (*16*) in a pattern determined by control signals from a controller
> (*140*). The motion control components (*18, 20*) of the apparatus
> (*10*) are external to and thermally isolated from the build chamber
> (*24*). A deformable thermal insulator (*132*) forms a ceiling of the
> building chamber, allowing motion control of the dispensing head (*14*)
> in an x, y plane by an x-y gantry (*18 *) located outside of and
> insulated from the build chamber (*24*). In the preferred embodiment, a
> material dispensing outlet (*66*) of the dispensing head is inside the
> chamber. Thermal isolation of the motion control components from the
> build chamber allows the chamber to be maintained at a high
> temperature."
>
> I am still trying to determine what part of that meets the "not obvious
> to someone versed in the field" that was part of the law creating the
> patent system, but its the world we live in now..

So am I.  The only thing I take away from that is we can't put it into an
insulated box.  Prior art, dunno, but I don't see a darned thing above that
qualifies it as not obvious.  Maybe I was born 60 years too soon?

Cheers, Gene
My views
You roll my log, and I will roll yours.
                -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca