I agree with you. When the GGG (Glorified Glue Gun) fad started a few
years ago many of the maker folk looked at Linuxcnc since it had been
used to control multi-axis machines for over a decade. Some of them felt
that it was too complicated and expensive to control their GGG made
mostly of threaded rods, nuts and low resolution PLA printed parts. They
then decided to just use an Arduino and make some custom IO stepper
boards to control the 3-axis Cartesian stage and glue gun/extrude and
write all the software from scratch. The printers still needed a PC for
the user interface, but I guess you weren't supposed to notice that.

Later they decided to move from Arduino to all-in-one 120MHhz ARM cortex
M3/4 boards and write all new libraries for the new architecture. The
new all-in-one boards sell for $120-200 and combine the micro with
stepper drivers, GPIO and mosfet outputs. A PC is still required for the
UI but they can run stand alone with the G-code stored on an SD-Card.

Now TI has released a $45 BeagleBone Black with a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8
that can host the machine control and suddenly there is interest in
Linuxcnc again. The UI can be directly off the GPU or over he network.
The Beaglebone Black still needs some expansion IO to drive the steppers
and extruder but the BOM is <$30.

The GGG's only use one or two nozzles to deposit material so the process
is very slow and they have difficulty with producing features under
200um. It's become popular since the original patents expired a few
years ago and you can build your own printer for only a few hundred dollars.

The reasons I have heard from the "maker guys" for not aspiring to other
additive manufacturing technologies have been the complexity and the
high costs involved for DIY. There are a few DIY projects that use SLA
with DLP (B9) or laser (SLAMPS) but they have chosen slow methods mostly
due to the problems with "It's the patents stupid!" or just ignorance of
the technology and SLS, Inkjet and micronozzle DIY is practically
non-existent.