My understanding is that it was done with a small profit motive. There
are several shields for the Arduino's that targeted driving the steppers
and extruders in repraps from several vendors.

http://reprap.org/wiki/List_of_electronics

The only other reason I heard about was the lack of desire to use a PC
for control when all they wanted was a small microcontroller, even
though a PC was still required for the UI.

Makerbot actually started out as open hardware and software non-profit
group created to help advance early research in the area of open-source
3D printers. They later closed the UI when they got their first $10M in
venture funding.