Gregg Eshelman wrote:
> On Fri, 7/5/13, Hubert Bahr <h...@hbahr.org> wrote:
>
>  Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Shizuoka on eBay
>  To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>  Date: Friday, July 5, 2013, 10:09 PM
>
>  While I don't need to add a new
>  project at this time this does peak my
>  interest, but it brings up some questions.  What type
>  of capabilities
>  can we expect to get by retrofitting one of these older NC
>  machines?
>
> -----------
> Search YouTube for kearney trecker CNC and you'll find several of an old blue
> and yellow horizontal machining center updated to operation with LinuxCNC. It
> can do things it never could have with its original control, such as rigid
> tapping.

Warning, that Shizuoka looks VERY tall!  make sure your ceiling is
high enough before making a decision.

As for rigid tapping, it can be a bear to attach a spindle encoder to some
machines that were never intended for it.  I had to put gear tooth sensors
in my Bridgeport's head so I could use the bull gear as an encoder.

But, it works great!

Jon