On 9/14/2013 3:58 PM, John Prentice (FS) wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have run a real machine and made chips with the BBB and MachineKit
> package. And very impressive and promising it is even with a 750 kB
> engraving job. Trying to get beyond the basic integration shows my poor
> Linux fundamentals :=(

Video or it didn't happen!!!  I want to link to a YouTube video of a BBB
cutting chips on my blog! :)

> (a) Having used the bootable SD card I can remove it and boot the original
> system from the BBB eMMC but other SD cards will not show up under it in  a
> "df" listing. I wanted to make a new bootable SD to work on while also
> retaining the known simple configuration that works. Is this change to
> original system behaviour expected and if so how is it reversible?

You are probably hitting a software issue with the BeagleBone kernel
which generally doesn't like to recognize the SD card if you've booted
off the on-board eMMC.  IIRC there are some patches that went by on the
mailing list recently (BeagleBoard device-tree updates on the Linux-OMAP
list) so perhaps this will be fixed soon.  In the meantime, if you want
to use an SD card when booting from the on-board flash, you need to use
a USB card reader, not the on-board uSD slot.  :(

> (b) I am bemused at where the magic numbers connected to steppin and dirpin
> in HAL come from (e.g. the comment the actual pin used and 0x4c make no
> sense to me:
>
> #P8.43 PRU1.out2

P8.43 is pin 43 on the P8 header of the BeagleBone.

> setp blah blah .stepgen.00.steppin 0x4c

0x4c is the kernel GPIO Pin numbering scheme + 32 (so that zero means
don't twiddle any actual pins).  In this case:

0x4C = 76 (dec) = (32 * 2) + 12 = GPIO bank 1, bit 12

> I have looked for a pattern with this BeBoPrBr example and all the tables
> including considering the 0x800 bit and the excess 32 coding for PRUs but
> cannot see any pattern. I want to add another stepgen to drive the machine
> spindle. The B axis seems in place in the .dts file but what goes in the
> HAL?

None of the existing configurations support more than 4 axis, but the
BeBoPr with a bridge does have step/dir lines for a B axis.  In HAL, you
need to add another step/dir generator to the pru_generic component
(num_stepgens=5 in the ini file), then map it's I/O signals using the
kernel GPIO number + 32 convention.  Other than the I/O lines, the rest
of the signals are fairly standard for LinuxCNC (ie: commanded position
& feedback).

The HAL values should be:

B_Dir = GPIO bank 0, bit 5 = 32 + 5 = 37
B_Stp = GPIO bank 0, bit 4 = 32 + 4 = 36

You will also need to remove these pins from the hal_bb_gpio driver
(remove the 217 and 218 entries from output_pins) so the PRU and the
GPIO driver don't try to control the same I/O pins.

> (c) Straight Linux problem: I cannot work out how to Mount USB sticks in the
> running system under XFCE/Thunar except logged in as root. Thunar says Not
> Permitted and unlike under Gnome you cannot run things like Thunar or medit
> with sudo from a Terminal. Google was not my friend on this occasion giving
> lots of recipes in fstab but no explanation of principles.

Use sudo mount /dev/sdx /mnt/wherever at the command line.

> (d) Similarly I can only shutdown/restart Linux by logging out of linuxcnc
> and logging in a root as the buttons are greyed out when user linuxcnc.

sudo halt

> (e)  finally and this may be a step too brave at present, I wonder if anyone
> has tries/succeeded to run the filesystem off a USB drive (probably a
> harddrive) using pivot root. The hope was to get better performance,
> particularly in development systems as I would like to install some user
> Comps.

I believe Robert Nelson (who wrote the scripts I use to build the kernel
and the images) uses a USB HDD on his build systems, but I'm not sure if
those are BBB's or something else (like BeagleBoards).  There are a
variety of USB issues with the BeagleBone and the 3.8 kernel, so I'd be
careful if you want to go this route (ie: make frequent backups).

When I am worried about size and speed, I have used remote NFS mounts
with excellent results.  This also keeps the data on a "real" system (in
my case, a SAN back-end with hardware RAID) instead of a single disk
attached to the 'bone.

Holler with any other questions!

--
Charles Steinkuehler