On 10/30/2013 04:29 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> As someone from the other side of the pond, I am far more comfortable in
> inches than in mm or mils for everyday work, but I think I need to
> understand what a mil is in the definitions you use?

A 'mil' is one thousands of an inch or exactly 0.0254mm.

My own interest is from my work with PCB design, which uses mils all the
time. But all mechanics are done in mm. The disparity always annoyed me.

> Please, can you define the mm to mil conversion, and how that relates to
> inches for an old man like me who is used to speaking in thousandths for
> everyday precision measurements?

mil --> mm == value * 0.0254
mm --> mil == value / 0.0254
1 inch = 1000 mil

> I am in electronics, so to me metric always made sense, but I've been stuck
> in "Rome, doing as the Romans did for 79 years.  This old dog needs to
> learn metric in the physical world, not just in wavelengths.

Well, electronics still has a lot of imperial measures in use for PCB
design.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)