I eventually managed to merge a few hal files and ini files to Change
the stepgens etc to work in velocity mode.
I have just connected up to the machine,and initial testing is excellent.
Strange thing though ,i have not entered any deadband figures yet but
the crackling seems to have gone.
I will let you know how more in depth testing works out, but for now all
is good.
Can anyone tell me what the maximum figure is that i can set in the
beaglebone for stepgen max velocity?
At the moment my stepgen max velocity is 42
And the Max velocity is 35
At 1000 steps per mm
I seem to remember it max's out at 45khz?

On 24/02/14 17:22, Jeff wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I'm *guessing* that they are the older Geckos (non digital).  The older
> drives had to have the DIR line stable for quite a time after the STEP pulse.
>  I believe this was to manage the resonance compensation circuit.  This makes
> me think the DIR line was not actually latched at the time of the STEP pulse.
>  If this is the case, the external DIR line would play an active role in the
> direction the current is going to be going in the motor windings.  Thus, at
> the start of each PWM cycle (about 20KHz) the DIR line would determine which
> direction the current should go (even in a stationary motor).  As the DIR
> line changes, the standby current in the motor will be reversed.  The rate of
> DIR reversal coupled with the 20KHz ends up giving a beat frequency in the
> audible range.  Another guess would be that the actual noise "signature"
> would be where the drive stopped within the 10 microstep range.  You could
> end up having 10 different crackling noise characteristics depending on which
> mic
 rostep you stopped at.