On Sunday 02 March 2014 20:04:14 John Kasunich did opine:

> > > Sure, one resistor is fine for the second method. Slight advantage
> > > of two is that the LED drives can be individualy adjusted.
>
> Wait a minute.  It sounds like you are suggesting anode 1 to +5V.
> Cathode 1 to anode 2, with a resistor to the signal source.  And
> cathode 2 to ground. That won't work, there is a path from +5V
> thru both LEDs to ground, with no current limiting resistor.  That
> will let the smoke out of both LEDs.

Aha, yes, that was precisely what I had in mind.  And now I see why you
said 2 r's.  I didn't grok that they would both be facing fwd voltages
under those conditions.

> If you are using a single ended source, you want two limiting
> resistors.  +5V, thru resistor 1, to anode 1.  Cathode 1 to anode 2
> and input signal.  Cathode 2 thru resistor to ground.
>
> You can put the resistors on the inside if you want:  +5 V to
> anode 1.  Cathode 1 thru resistor to input, then another resistor
> from input to anode 2.  Cathode 2 to ground.  But you still need
> two resistors.

And I think this means there is a good chance on a couple microseconds of
overlap in the on states at the output too, so some sort of a current
limiter there would be indicated else it would seriously drain the limited
12 volt supply in the controller.  Say about 1k ohms between the 12 volt
line and the top detectors collector.  The load R in the controller appears
to be about 30k, so a 1k in the top will not noticeably restrict the top
end. Due to the size & weight of the flywheel/fan, I have not explored the
last 10% of the control range but I am sure the motor rpms have been north
of 10k rpms in my playing as it is.  That was at about 88 volts across the
motor.  The exhaust air from the fan cleaned the table off for about 18"
around where the motor was laying, but the motor at that speed, was so well
balanced that I could have walked away for half an hour and it would still
have been laying exactly where I laid it when I came back.

My scopes will be busy I think, while all this gets fine tuned.

> If the input signal is differential, then you can hook the LEDs
> back-to-back, and use a single limiting resistor.

That I would have to build.

Cheers, Gene

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.