Hi Peter,
thanks for you reply.

> Its hard to tell with motor specifications, sometimes they are RMS and
> sometimes they are DC (for example lots of large BLDC motors are rated 320V
> which actually means they are 220V AC motors)

I see. I'll stick with 24 V for now, the power supply is a 350 W unit.

> 1. initial rotor alignment (if wrong you will have different torque each
> direction)

I think this is OK, as the motors spin smooth and nice in both directions.

It is set to 0 (line 207 of the hal ini: http://restweiss.de/bldc_1.zip).

> 3. Make sure the PWM rate is set fairly high so you dont get current limiting
> from ripple current (40KHz is good for 7I39s)

PWM frequency (is that PWM rate) is set to 20 kHz, but I tried 40 kHz
and it makes no difference.

> 4. Make sure you have the 7I39 current limit set to 15A and not 7.5A

Current is limited (still default setting) but I don't think this is the
problem. Using a clampmeter I measure 600 mA max. at stall.

> 5. If you have problems at high speeds, consider running LinuxCNC master and
> raising the servo thread rate as high as you can (good MBs can do 4 KHz or
> better) (linuxcnc master has a patch to BLDC than extrapolates the
> commutation
> angle base on velocity so approximately halves the commutation angle
> error at high speeds)

Oh, that's cool feature, but I only need very low speeds - so no need to
switch I guess.

What's next to investigate?

Greetings
Flo