> Thanks for the reply.  I'm thinking about building a little one for my
> home shop, so I'm interested how they do it in the real world.
>
> If I understand correctly, you're running DC through the coil, and it
> oscillates from 0 amps to 40 amps between at a chosen frequency between
> 10-30 kHz.
>
> I'm surprised it's DC, for some reason I assumed it would be AC.
>
> Thanks again for the reply.  Good luck on the project.

Hello Ray.

Indeed what's circulating through the coil is AC, I just gave you the
aproximate voltage that the machine uses on the input of the inverter. The
machine uses a IGBT transistors to switch a square wave AC and then feed
this to an LC tank to generate a sine wave.

I really don't know how much voltage is on the coil but I assume is a
little one, because there, the current rises because of the transformation
ratio.

We didn't built it but we were experimenting with induction heating, and I
can tell you the tricky part it's how to design the circuit for fire the
IGBTs.

There are some very good references on the internet if you want to build a
heater that's not that big. This one has a maximum output power of 60 KW.

--
*Leonardo Marsaglia*.