> I re-controlled one of those in the past but we simply rotated the part
> around the Z axis as the part moved downward through the coil in the Z
> direction.
>
> But then all of our parts were round.
>
> Well this machine was originally designed to heat treat camshafts of about
6 mm of lift, also the lobes were of about 42 mm of diameter so for
induction heating it's pretty "round" and there's no need for the coil to
be shaped around the lobe. So the reduction was only meant to decrease the
speed of the motor, and the part turned around at a constant speed.

Now we have several types of lobes, we go from 6 mm to 12 mm of lift, and
the ones that have that amount of lift tend to overheat quickly on the high
point and less on the rest of the lobe. This causes a pretty uneven
hardening.

> Its a really quick way to heat treat a part!

Indeed, it's beautiful to see how in 7 seconds the part reaches glowing
orange. Here's a video of the heater working, I don't recall if I already
show this to you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmW3_c0-4Oc

--
*Leonardo Marsaglia*.