On Tue, 17 Mar 2015, Philipp Burch wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 22:21:45 +0100
> From: Philipp Burch <p...@hb9etc.ch>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] PCB adapters for oscilloscope probes
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> please excuse this question very unrelated to LinuxCNC, but I know that
> here are quite some people around who are familiar with scopes and
> high-frequency measurements. Some who like Tek and some who don't ;)
>
> Anyway, I've got a project where I need to measure signals with
> frequencies in the range 10Mhz .. 100Mhz without loading the driver
> itself too much (the goal is to figure out how a current control loop
> behaves at these frequencies, so I should not add much more phase lag
> just by attaching the probe). Tektronix probes of type P6158
> (http://www.tek.com/sites/tek.com/files/media/media/resources/60W_12026_2_0.pdf)
> are available, so this is ok. What we haven't a large amount of,
> however, are those PCB adapters (the ones with the four ground pins,
> where you can stick the probe vertically into). Something like this:
> http://hb9etc.ch/images/tek_probe_adapter_131-4244-00.png
>
> Now the question: Does anyone here have an idea how or where to get some
> spares of those adapters? The part# 131-4244-00 does not seem to exist
> anymore. In the probe datasheet, there is 131-5031-00 listed for those
> adapters, but market results aren't much better for those. What I found
> so far is a product on Amazon:
> http://www.amazon.com/Tektronix-131-5031-00-Tip-Probe/dp/B00DJS7BMU
> This could probably be the right thing, but $184 for 25 of those
> thingies is also quite a number. Might be worth it, but still, if anyone
> has a better idea/source/offer/whatever, please tell me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Philipp

One easy way if you dont have many spots to probe and you control the PCB
design is dispense with the probe and use a small coax connector
and make a built in passive probe on the PCB. A 949 Ohm SO6 resistor
into the center pin of the coax (and using 50 Ohm coax and scope input)
will give you a passive probe about equivalent to the 6158 (well maybe 1 GHz
bandwidth instead of 3)

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)