On 03/25/2015 09:59 PM, Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:

>> You should check this out :
>>
>> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Combining_Two_Feedback_Devices_On_One_Axis
>>
>> There used to be a web page that described dual feedback on
>> one of the big machines at Stuart Stevenson's MPM shop and
>> had a bit of history of how they arranged to do that, but I
>> can not find it now. They used a linear encoder for position
>> feedback and a shaft encoder on the motor for velocity feedback.
>>
>> (Anybody know where the descriptive page with photos, etc.
>> on that has gone to?)
>>
> Hello Jon and thanks for the link I didn't remember about it.
>
> I guess my approach of using the same encoder mounted on the shaft of the
> motor isn't the best solution for speed and position feedback right?.
No, nothing wrong with it, if you have sufficient encoder
counters.
> As I told gene I was planning on using the same encoder for velocity and
> then position feedback but I don't know if this is a good option.
Do you mean to extract velocity from the encoder and then
feed it out a DAC channel to
a velocity servo amp?  This is what almost all FANUC
controls do, and a few people are
doing this with LinuxCNC.  I think Chris Radek is doing this
on his machine, and John Kasunich and Chris
Kelley at Tx/Rx Labs in Texas got this working on their
PowerHawk mill.

Jon