On Sunday 29 March 2015 07:13:54 kqt4a...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]
Locally, Lowes sells them for about $35.

> No IR thermometer
> I ran the motor on 12 volts for about 1 hour and the chip was only
> barely warm to touch Then I ran the motor on 36 volts for about 1 hour
> and the chip was only barely warm to touch The 36 volt power supply is
> close in the same container so I disconnected it and ran the motor on
> batteries Same results the motor is very weak

I wasn't referring to the chip temps, I was more interested in the motors
temp, which being a relatively massive item to heat, taking a boring
amount of time to reach a stable operating temp, a temp thats quite
likely to be too hot to touch comfortably.  But either you didn't notice
because it wasn't getting "too hot"., or didn't feel it for heat.  They
will run hot, uncomfortably hot in normal operation.

And contrary to what somneone else said, the driver components will
actually run cooler at the higher voltages because most of them
are "hexfets" with on resistances measured in milliohms and at the high
voltages spend less time in the on state to reach the regulated current
point at the higher voltages, they will actually run cooler as the
voltage rises, up to the rated voltage.  Because of the higher on time
at lower voltages, the 2M542 driver is not recommended to be run on less
than 24 volts.  This is a 50 volt rated, max of 4.2 amps driver
available on fleabay, for less than $50 a copy. When I fried the 3rd
xylotex, I bought 7 of them, 3+ years ago, 2 for my lathe and 4 for the
mill since it can also have a rotary table.  The 7nth one has now been
used as a test mule, set for a /8 stepping, driving a 425 oz/in triple
stack nema 23 motor at speeds up to 3000 rpms on a 47 volt supply, long
enough to prove it can do it. The motor gets hot, but the driver is
running maybe 5 degrees above ambient, at 1/2 its max amps rated output
as the test motor is an 8 wire, wired in series.

You haven't said, other than you built them yourself, what your driver
is, so we are all in the dark trying to read between the lines.  Perhaps
you can supply a link to where you obtained the schematic for it?  I am
a CET, and perhaps might be able to see why its not working as
advertised.