I got >, but I had to reply, edit the subject and then delete all the
text I didn't want.  I suppose I could have copied it as well.  Unless
it's easy, this is better than I had...

Thanks.

> On 1 April 2015 at 17:26, Mark Johnsen <m...@ijohnsen.com> wrote:
>> PS - what reader do you use for this mailing list to get the ">" inserted?
>> I simply have been using gmail and recall posts a long time ago on better
>> readers, but I couldn't find it when I searched?
>

> Click in the message you want to reply to so that a blue bar appears
> next to the sender image.

I looked all around for a blue bar and didn't see that nor a sender
image?  I'm using gmail for Apps and I have 'categories' turned on.
Maybe something different in the setup.

> Then select the text you want to include.
> The press the reply button, or if you have enabled keyboard short-cuts
> press the "A" key (reply All) or "R" key (Reply)

I couldn't easily get out the

> Then in the bottom left corner of the reply pane drop-down the little
> arrow next to the bin and select "Plain text mode"

I found that!  It did show the >.  Nice...