----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Stallings <steve...@newsguy.com>
To: 'Greg Bentzinger' <skullwo...@yahoo.com>; 'Enhanced Machine Controller
(EMC)' <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2015 6:10 PM
Subject: RE: [Emc-users] Suitable transformers = hens teeth (Gene Heskett)

<snip>

> -- ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ No idea where you came up with this - never
> said anything about water cooling or trying to use a 24K
> router type spindle.
>
> I actually said a LOWER rpm rated motor (@60Hz)- such as a
> 1725 or below.
>
> I dropped "56C 1.5hp 3ph" into ebay search and the first
> thing that popped up was ebay item#4601799582
>
> Buy it now price of $139 - I'm sure a better deal can be
> found, but this was the first item that popped up
>
> New 56C/TEFC 1725rpm 1.5hp 5/8" output shaft inverter rated,
> 10:1 Variable torque, 2:1 Constant torque

Careful. I have looked for motors to fit a G0704 before and found
very few that would fit, certainly not a 56C frame. There some
square BLDC motors that will fit well.

Steve Stallings

Well understood Steve.

I look at it this way - once you jump in with both feet deciding to take an off
the shelf manual machine and do a CNC conversion using parts from more than 1
vendor you have left the reservation and are on your own.

The expectation should be that nothing will "just fit". True most things will
work as expect out of the box, but alot of that comes from people doing there
homework and knowing what they really need. Its all part of building a CNC.

Many of the benchtop mills when a non-OEM type spindle motor is replaced
require some sort of adapter plate with brackets or standoffs and often replace
the existing belt drive with a different setup. A 3ph motor will be bigger and
heavy compared to a DC unit, at least the added mass will help damp cutting
vibration in the head.

I bought one of the first IH large ring mills after Aaron sold IH to Gene
Spada. A common "upgrade" people were doing was buying the 3450rpm motors to
replace the slow and noisy OEM Chi-com motor and bringing the geared head mill
up to 3600rpm capability. This upgrade required an adapter plate and that the
motor output shaft be turned down and a new key slot milled. I bought a new
Baldor 3450 motor, then later a more heavy duty motor rated at 2400rpm and
since I planned to use a VFD anyway vrs my limited 3ph coming off my 10hp
rotary phase converter. With the VFD I could push the rpm to 5K, though
extended running at that speed would cause excessive heat and foam in the
gearbox. IH ran the in house mill @ 6000rpm, I didn't want to be replacing
bearings all the time, so 5K is my limit.

Automation Technologies tried the BLDC spindle motor deal with the KL-2200 and
KL-1160 which are square BLDC 400-6000rpm motors - its just that actual end
user reports have been far from impressive. The price is also ultra premo @
$699 and I can get a better industrail motor and VFD that I can work on without
having to guess at vague chi documentation and ZERO factory support. If it
would actually work it would be worth it to some owners.