> Hi John;
>
> I've a small Unimat SL that I've CNC'd (and talked about it at the last
> CNCWorkShop back in June, and in my blog)
>
> Some random thoughts:
>
> 1) Beaglebone is fine. Sure, graphics is slow, but so what? Change "Axis"
> to the DRO display and you are fine.

That's what I thought too

> 2) My OLD Unimat has a not so great spindle, which is a bit of a problem.
> And an old motor, which is very weak.
>
> 3) Currently, I have no spindle feedback for threading.

It's unlikely you can thread with a weak spindle.  I found with the ELS that
the best place to put money into a lathe for doing that wasn't on a
multi-line encoder but instead on a stable spindle motor.    That's why the
idea of using the stepper.  A DC Servo is also an option and brings in a
multi-line encoder for much better tracking.

> 4) Others have used stepper motors for spindle control on Unimats; one
> chap
> in Germany, and, maybe Cecil on this list?

Be interested to see that.

> 5) I've a larger, stronger lathe (a big brother to the Unimat - an Emco
> Compact-8) that is my target lathe for CNC; not sure if I'm going to
> develop the Unimat further.

I have a Gingery and a South Bend.  The Gingery has full Z,X and Spindle
control and can thread using the ELS.  AS yet I've not added a cross slide
motor to the taper fixture end of the X axis.

> I have the Xylotex cape, with the Beaglebone direct from them, pushing a
> Gecko G540.

OK.  I'll look at the Xylotex cape.

> Look at cnc-for-model-engineers.bogspot.com and top left corner is a
search
> box, put "Unimat" in there. Maybe it'll give you some ideas.
Thanks.  That's a great suggestion and it turned up this below.
http://cnc-for-model-engineers.blogspot.ca/search?q=unimat
John