I did exactly that with a BBB and Xylotex cape, using one of the unused
limit inputs for a single pulse per rev sensor. You might want to follow
the discussion on
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/machinekit/RW_bnXdXzyE
(you'll have to read up to the end).
You need a little familiarity with redirecting the input pins of the BBB
to the hardware encoder (eqep) on the BBB processor, and in case of the
Xylotex cape, I had to remove the large capacitor of the input
RC-circuit because it smears out the pulses too much. The eqep encoders
are fully supported in the present machinekit images for BBB.
I did successfully manage to do threading on a small lathe with that
contraption.
Cheers,
Karl